Friday, October 28, 2011

Paris, Part Four - Versailles

What I am still lacking in new artistic content I am trying to make up for in sheer prettiness, and what better way to do that than photos of Versailles? Yes, for years and years 'Go To Versailles' has been on my Things-to-do-before-I-die list, and this summer, I was able to put a big fat check next to it. Done. And when I say done, do I mean it. We were there promptly 30 minutes before it opened and stayed for hours, and I don't think I sat down longer than the 10 minutes I took to eat a sandwich. We walked from the Chateau to nearly the end of the gardens and back, and still didn't see everything! I want to go back already!

For those unfamiliar, "The court of Versailles was the centre of political power in France from 1682, when Louis XIV moved from Paris, until the royal family was forced to return to the capital in October 1789 after the beginning of the French Revolution. Versailles is therefore famous not only as a building, but as a symbol of the system of absolute monarchy of the Ancien RĂ©gime." (Thanks, Wikipedia!)

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh so pretty!!! Let's go again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Kat's trip to Versailles wouldn't be complete without a photo of the macaroons! Wish we were going again THIS summer!
    -Ta mere

    ReplyDelete