Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Paris, Part 2: Chartres

More pictures of Paris from July 2011, this time of our amazing little day trip to Chartres. The Cathedral as we know it today was built mostly between 1193 and 1250, is still in amazing condition, and has two mismatched spires (one was rebuilt in the 16th century over the older one). The facades are what really got me, though - besides the insane amounts of intricate stained glass windows. Every outer wall of the cathedral is covered in sculptured figures - from the ground all the way to the top of the spires. My mother and I spent a good long while walking around the outside, trying to figure out who was who, and what scenes of the Bible were being portrayed (aw yeah, Catholic education!).

There's something about the smell of old churches that you just don't get anywhere else. They're so dank and cold and full of incense and burning candles - I feel like I go back in time a bit when I enter one, especially one like Chartres Cathedral. In a cathedral that big and that important, you feel like you are a bit lost in history!

Next time: more of Paris, perhaps the Louvre? Also I have been working on some art so expect that soonish. Bye for now!

1 comment:

  1. Love your Narwhalship painting! I just found your blog --- via Pinterest. Checked out etsy, but the Narwhalship is no longer posted? Did you sell the original, or do you still have prints available? Also, I really like your "Don't Give up the Ship" painting. It turned out awesome! I wanted to pin it, but it's restricted?
    Anyway, just wanted you to know how much I like your work, and share your love of the coast.
    Thanks for sharing your work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete